Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Heavy heart part 2

I am so sorry to be so morbid; really, I am. But, I know you all pray and will pray for her. Dena has to be the saddest thing that I have ever seen. I went after work not knowing if I would be able to see her or not. Her husband, mother and three little girls were there. I walked in and in the corner stood the Christmas Tree. Tears quickly filled my eyes. The little girls were so sweet and asked me how I was doing. I'm not sure of their ages. The youngest looked like she was 4-5. The mom took me to a back bedroom and Dena was just laying there. I had not expected it to be so bad. I told myself that I would not cry in front of the family. But, after seeing her, I broke down. I cried for my friend who will in all likelihood, never be able to hold her newborn baby. I cried for her because she will not see her kids grow up. I cried for her mother and husband. I tried, you guys, I promise I did. It was just so heartbreaking. She is 31 yrs old and has never, ever had anything wrong with her other than a cold. Dr's are not 100 % certain what happened. They suspect Cardiomyopathy. Wikipedia says: "Cardiomyopathy, which literally means "heart muscle disease," is the deterioration of the function of the myocardium (i.e., the actual heart muscle) for any reason."

She told me that Dena was fine on Sept 17 earlier in the day. She had a 4 D ultrasound and everything looked great. She felt fine. That night, she collapsed. They rushed her to the ER and when Dena quit breathing, so did the baby and they delivered her in the ER via C-Section in 34 seconds; she was 7 weeks early. They would not name the baby for the first 10 days because they kept waiting for her to wake. Finally, they named her Addison Raenee. They call her Addy. The mother's sister takes care of the baby during the day and most evenings, so that she can take care of Dena and when the husband gets home, he takes care of the other 3 girls. They bring the baby everyday and place her on the bed so Dena can spend time with her. They also believe that the baby is deaf, but other than that, she is healthy. She is one week younger than my little girl.

Dena will move when there is a loud noise, so she is some responsive. I talked to her and told her that she needed to get better so that our girls could have play dates together. Her eyes are open and she is not on a ventilator, but she has a trachea. The mom said that the Dr's said she would probably be like that the rest of her life. She was able to come off the ventilator, which they said would not happen and she has gotten better since the accident first happened. Her mother was very sweet and told me to come by anytime, which I will do. Please pray for this girl that she gets better and is able to be a wife and mother again.

8 comments:

The Dish said...

I am glad that you got to see her, Honey. I wouldn't have been able to keep from crying either. Hell, I am crying now just from reading this.

Anonymous said...

This is just so devestating. It could happen to any one of us..How someone at 31 with three children can develop an unknown rare heart condition that would put her in a coma just seems like something on television.

You are a wonderful friend for visiting her. Does the family need anything? I would love to send something if I can help.

Christine said...

How terrible. I worry about the baby if Mom doesn't make it. I would hate for her to grow up feeling responsible. Sad sad situation.

J Fab said...

Dish--I know--- I'm telling you, it would make the hardest of hearts cry their eyes out, too.

Vinomom- I wish I could just hug you for offering to help! I want to do something, so I'm gonna reach out to our community. I don't know many people, but the people I do know, are the ones that can get something started for the family. You know what? the mom told me that they had a collection jar at the gas station and someone stole it!

Christine: I worried the same thing. It is soooo sad. Senseless.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That is so sad! I will keep her and her whole family in my prayers.

Gator Foodie said...

absolutely heartbreaking. You are such a good soul for checking in on Dena & her family! Will keep praying for her

The Girl said...

I'm so sorry Jenny. My prayers and thoughts are with her. I don't know what else to say, this is horrible and your wonderful to go see her. XXXXOOO

Doc said...

Oh my gosh, just reading that broke my heart. How awful. Prayers for her and also prayers of thanks that my family is healthy.