Monday, February 22, 2010

Now, I'm asking for help....

I can't even get started working this morning. I'm so upset. Baby Fab will not take the breast. She did fine on Friday and took it during the night and morning, but not during the day and yesterday. She will still take it if she wakes, but other than that--- she will have nothing to do with it. Really hope she changes her mind and I won't give up trying to get her back on daily. I still pump and I know the most important thing is to still give her the breast milk, but I will miss her so much perched down there. My favorite time is after B Daddy goes to work at 5:30. It's just us snuggled on the couch or chair and she nurses until she takes her evening nap. I leave her there and hold her as much as I can until 7. That's when we get up and have play time. I put her in her exersaucer (which she LOVES LOVES LOVES) or her bumbo while I clean the kitchen or do whatever. At 8, she has her veggies (loves everything except green beans) and then finishes it off with some cereal. I told my Dr her schedule (which is Sleep as much as she wants until 7, dinner at 8, baths and she goes down like a champ at 9 sharp), and she said it sounded great.

Last night, my mother, who keep in mind has not had an infant in 40 yrs) told me that her eating her veggies that late was not a good idea. I said, "Really?" and she said... "Well, I should know... I had four kids." Very "matter of factly." Oh hell no....Hold my earrings, Elle. I was so freaking mad. You know what? I may not know a whole lot about raising a child and each day is a huge learning experience for me, but don't fucking tell me how to do it if I do not ask. Every mother reading this post.. did you know every single answer to every single question with your first child? I'm sure she didn't. It made me feel like I don't know how to take care of her. Is it too late? Hell if I know. All I know is she doesn't seem like her tummy aches afterwards or seem uncomfortable. Am I right or wrong? She thinks it's just not right to have her on a schedule cause "she never had to put her kids on a schedule and she had four." Yeah, I know how many kids you have, mom. I was raised with each and every one of them. Grrrr. She is politely telling me how to take care of her and I know it. What she is going to do is make me stop telling her things that I do with her so I don't have to feel like an idiot. I would hate to do that to her, but it is really bothering me. Oh, she doesn't like the fact that she has not had fruits yet. Like I'm punishing Baby Fab by not giving her the fruits. Uummm, it's called giving her time to really, really enjoy veggies cause I'm scared once she has fruits, she will not go back to veggies. Again, I spoke to her Dr about her eating habits 2 weeks ago when we were in for a checkup. She said that she should be ok with cereal in the mornings, breast milk during the day, veggie and cereal before she goes to bed and around 6 months, I would probably have to add more things to her diet. But, if she doesn't seem cranky or act like she is hungry... go with that until she lets me know otherwise.

One thing I hate more than anything is to have to explain myself. To anyone. I run a business and I should not have to explain myself to my employees. They question me from time to time and I have learned to say one of two phrases, which they hate, BTW: HBIC (Head bitch in charge) or RHIP (rank has it's privileges). What I really wanna say is.... cause I'm the mommy, that's why. I guess I'm just frustrated because I feel like I have to explain everything I do to my mother. I would never say anything to her though... but I'm biting my tongue so much, it is about chewed in half.

Baby Fab seemed off this weekend and I wonder if she's cutting teeth. The past couple of mornings, she was "rattling" when I went in to get her and ran a low grade temp yesterday. She was very quiet, though not cranky and still playful. She didn't take many naps either this past weekend. Oh, BTW, if you didn't know-- she went to her crib on Fri night. It has been going well and I think she loves having more room. I actually did better than I thought I would. IT was very strange to put her in her bed and turn the light out knowing she was down for the night. I put a CD player in there with some Lullaby's and she will just listen carefully.

Yesterday, it was so warm outside and we went up to the mall. It was the first time that we had Baby Fab's face uncovered and she was just amazed looking outside! When I put her in the stroller, I decided to see what she would do if I set up the back rest of her stroller. SHE LOVED SITTING UP LIKE A BIG GIRL! The picture is on Facebook. She is sitting up wonderfully and she had her first REAL rollover last night while waiting on me to get her bath ready! About a month or so ago, she rolled 1/2 way over. Well, she has worked hard trying to figure out how to get her arm out of the way and last night, she went all the way and quickly propped herself up with her hands. So stinking sweet.

I'm rambling this morning, but need some help from my friends.... Why won't she take the breast? Will she go back? Is 8 too late for veggies? Am I going to loose my mind sooner rather than later?

9 comments:

Elle said...

ok, A.) this is your mother we're talking about. You and I both know what that means. Just let her ramble, you know there's no way to stop it and there's no point in arguing with her. Pick your battles and as long as you, the baby, and your Dr. are good with everything, then there ya go.

and B.) I don't have a baby, I have a boyfriend. So, yeah...not the same problem here. I'll defer on this one. :)

heart you!

Anonymous said...

She had four kids forty years ago dude. And she's NOT a doctor. Just ignore her and don't take it personally. And I'm only giving you THAT advice cuz clearly you're not going to tell her to mind her own business like I would do.

I don't know about the booby thing! I remember Lady H becoming disinterested in breast feeding once she'd had the bottle for a couple months. It is easier for them and they don't have to work at it. Lazy Babies! It didn't really bother me though! Just keep working at it!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

She may be ready to wean, but keep trying to offer the breast. Did you start your cycle? (sorry to be nosy), but that can change the way the milk tastes and some babies don't like that.

GiGi said...

I bet she is getting some teeth. Did you put a clean finger in her mouth to feel her gums? If they look/feel swollen, this may be why. It HURTS for the little honeys to nurse when those teeth come in. My mom can be just like yours too. Just keep biting that tongue - she is just trying to help...at least that's what I tell mySELF so I don't go off the deep end every time my mom tell me something I do not want to hear! If the baby is happy, and gaining weight - no worries. If you do get concerned, you can always weigh her yourself, or bring her into the doc for a simple 'weight check'. If she is having normal pees and poos regularly - she's fine, I bet! :) You are doing a great job, doll!

J Fab said...

Elle: Yep, you know mom....I will never forget when you told me to "pick my battles...." Best piece of advice I have ever rec'd.

Vinomom: you crack me up!!! I think she is lazy for sure.

ETW: She still takes the milk that I pump though. I for sure will keep trying to get her to take.

Gigi: I have felt for the tooth, but didn't know the gums will swell. I'll keep watching for that. Yes, she does seem very happy and diapers are good... just no booby and it hurts my little feelings! : )

The Dish said...

I have no advice, but wanted to tell you that I love you! :)

Gator Foodie said...

Yep she may be ready to wean ! You are
right, keep biting that tongue & keep giving
her veggies - once mine had a taste of fruit
they NEVER wanted veggies !! Lol! And I
firmly believe in schedules!!! ;-)

Warped Mind of Ron said...

My best advice it to let someone else latch onto the nipple and then Baby Fab will get jealous and dive right back on there.... just my theories on it all ;-)

Anonymous said...

One of the most highly effective preventive measures a mother can take to protect the health of her infant and herself is to breastfeed. It protects babies from many infections and illnesses, such as diarrhea and pneumonia.
http://www.dailyrx.com/fda-alerts/breastfeeding-decreases-risk-breast-and-ovarian-cancers-14756.html